PlaytestCloud is a platform that lets gamers worldwide try out games and help game studios improve them by providing feedback. Over 60% of the studios listed in the App Store Top 100 grossing games charts have tested their games with PlaytestCloud.
- We’re the premier user testing provider for mobile games - we help game studios worldwide make the best games they possibly can
- We build our own technology that adds screencast recording, security features, and player instructions to games
- We’re bootstrapped and profitable, with 300+ paying game studios and 1,000,000+ playtesters
We’re looking for a Tech Lead (f/m/d) to take charge of the technical direction of our web application and mobile app. As Tech Lead you will act as the principal engineer, be the primary technical contact person for product management, and lead the software design and development of new features. You will report directly to the CEO who is also the leader of the Product department.
Tasks that you might work on include, but are not limited to:
- Software Architecture: Design the software architecture of new features and create technical specifications that guide the implementation.
- Innovation + Research: Develop prototypes and spikes.
- Scrum Master: Act as a Scrum Master to the team to unblock and coordinate collaboration. Lead software estimation efforts within the team.
- Technical Leadership: Take ownership of security, scalability and stability of the whole PlaytestCloud code base. Review code, establish technical standards and coach the team.
- Technical Liaison: Be the sparring partner for product management and work with them to find the right scope for new features.
- No people management: You will act as a technical leader working closely with a team of 10 people in our product department - but not as a people manager (you will not have direct reports).
- Balance between hands-on coding and understanding how to translate business requirements into tech specs (the role will be 50% coding, 50% tech specs).
For this role you need to possess deep knowledge and expertise in relevant technologies, frameworks, and programming languages. We use the following:
- Web application: Ruby on Rails / TypeScript / Angular
- PlaytestCloud App (iOS, Android and more): Flutter
- PlaytestCloud iOS SDK: Swift, Objective-C
- Recording Library (Android): Java
- You have at 7+ years of extensive professional experience in software engineering, with a track record of developing complex web applications
- You are experienced working with production web applications serving more than 10,000 users per day
- You have extensive experience with Ruby on Rails
- You have a solid understanding of relational databases and database design (we use PostgreSQL)
- You have experience with cloud environments and the related technologies (AWS, Docker, Heroku)
- You have experience working with frontend frameworks (e.g. React, Vue.js, but ideally Angular)
- You have experience with mobile development (Flutter, iOS, Android)
- You generally enjoy working in multiple programming languages and frameworks
- You have experience with writing technical specifications, agile software development processes and software estimation
- You are interested in the business aspect of software development
- You have a customer-focussed mindset and love to bring valuable features to market
- You are located within +/- 2 hours of the Berlin time zone (CET)
- You have experience working on a SaaS product
- You like video games and would enjoy working in the gaming industry
- You have experience in mobile development
Here comes the fun part! If you love a less-formal work environment, flexible work hours and location, a competitive compensation package and benefits - and most of all, being the authentic you - we want to meet you.
Here are some of our perks & benefits:
- Compensation: Up to 110k EUR per year, based on professional experience
- Remote work model: We offer the option to work up to 100% remotely. Nevertheless, you're also welcome to work from our office in beautiful Berlin-Charlottenburg
- You get a budget for professional growth opportunities, conferences, team building, and, if you wish, German language lessons
- 27 vacation days + additional time off on December 24th and 31st
- You get a MacBook Pro, two screens, and all the equipment you need to do a great job. Additionally, you get a budget to set up your home office environment
- Strong culture: We have a feedback-driven company culture that is open to trying new paths, where the best idea wins
- Team events, (board) game sessions and other fun activities for everyone who wants to attend
- Pet-friendly office
- Birthday Presents and Anniversary Charity Donations
- Summer & Winter parties
- Contribution to the occupational pension plan (bAV)
- Net wage optimization (wherever possible and wanted)
- Liberal policy around working from countries that are not your primary residence (workations)
- Our company language is English
DO YOU NEED TO MEET ALL HIRING CRITERIA?
A common question you might be asking is: “Do I need to meet all the requirements to apply?”
Our answer is, studies by several different sources have shown that, on average, men will apply for a job if they meet 60% of the application requirements. By contrast, women/non-binary people will seek to match a much higher percentage of the requirements before applying. We encourage everyone to apply and give us a chance to evaluate your skills and experience. We are all learning on the job, and although the listing above has been carefully compiled, we are also open-minded and interested to hear about the value you can bring to the role, and to PlaytestCloud.
Note: We read every application ourselves and do not rely on automated CV screening.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At PlaytestCloud, we welcome diversity, and believe everyone should have a fair chance at setting a high score. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for everybody who works here or with us, regardless of race, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof), political affiliation, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, or any other protected characteristics. Join us and make the future of mobile gaming diverse, inclusive, and exciting.
If you want to reach out to our Diversity & Inclusion buddies, please send a message to people[at]playtestcloud.com with your request or ask us to jump on a quick call with you.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US
If you have questions regarding the job opening or our recruitment process, drop our People team a line at talent[at]playtestcloud.com.